Hopewell Friends Meeting was named "Opeckan", after nearby Opequon Creek, when it was set off from the Concord (Pennsylvania) Quarterly Meeting in 1734. The Meeting is the oldest surviving place of worship in the area and has been in continuous use since it was built. It is located on Hopewell Road (formerly State Route 672) one mile west of Clearbrook in Frederick County, Virginia. It was established nine years prior to the creation of Frederick County. The original group of settlers came from the Monocacy valley in Frederick County, Maryland. Initially, this meeting was a member of the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting. At that time, the settlement included about seventy families. Hopewell joined with Centre Meeting and is now called Hopewell Centre. The Hopewell Meeting House is registered as a Virginia Historic Landmark and is designated as a Frederick County Historic Site.